Welcome to the Pursuit of Wellness section. All the information and workshops in this section was researched and developed by Damian Gilbert and April Pennell.
The following lesson plan and all the materials can be downloaded for printing and sharing. Please credit HeartWood Centre for Community Youth Development and the Lunenburg District Office of Community Services, Nova Scotia when using the materials. If you use these materials please let us know so we can track where they are being used. If you have any suggestions for changes please let us know.
Future Start Lesson Plan: The Pursuit of Wellness
Session Topic: Anxiety, Law of Attraction, Positive Thinking, and Sleep
- To learn about anxiety, the Law of Attraction, positive thinking, and sleep through an interactive game
- To learn how these concepts, affect our lives
- To learn how to work with these concepts
Materials, Props and Technology:
- Print and cut cards and die legend from FutureStart.ca website
- 1 die
Room set up:
- Table and chairs to play game
- 2-4 players or 8 players in partners
Workshop Details and Script:
- Introduction: Hi, my name is __________. Our topic is about wellness and we will be talking about anxiety, the Law of Attraction, positive thinking and sleep through a game.
- Participant introduction: Please say your name and how you would describe wellness.
- We are going to present our concept through a board game called “The Pursuit of Wellness”, it is similar to the game trivial pursuit.
- Explain the Pursuit of Wellness rules and set up:
- Set up cards in 4 piles
- Each pile as a topic with questions and answers
- Each topic as a corresponding number with the die so when you roll the die the number will determine which topic. Also see dice legend which includes miss a turn and a free card
- Roll die to see who goes first (highest roll)
- Play the game clockwise and the person to the right will ask the question picked.
- If you answer the question correctly, you get to keep the card
- Whoever has the most cards at the end of the game wins.
- There will be a group discussion after each question card.
- Sample question to ask in between rounds:
- What do you think of that answer?
- What stands out for you in that question?
- How do you use that concept in your life?
- How are you challenged by that concept or answer?
- After playing the game for a few rounds, determine how long you want to keep playing. If energy starts to fade stop the game, it is better to end the game on a high note.
- Closing: Thank you for playing this game, we want to end with a closing question: From playing this game what is something you are inspired to learn more about?
Bibliography: The Pursuit of Wellness
Sleep: Purple cards
1,2,8,9,10 - Information from pamphlet on insomnia, Pharmasave www.pharmasave.com
3 - www.sleepeducation.org
4,5,6,7 - www.drweil.com
8,9,10 - http://science.education.nih.ga/supplements/nih3/sleep/guide/info-sleep.html
The Law of Attraction - Red Cards
1,2,3 - www.mayoclinic.com
4,5,6 - www.mindbodygreen.com
7,8,9 - www.thelawofattraction.com
10 - www.quantum-self.com
The Power of Positive Thinking - Yellow cards
1,2,3,10 - www.mayoclinic.com
4,5,6 - www.tinybuddha.com
7,8,9 - www.success.com
Anxiety - Blue cards
1,2,3,4,5,6,7 - Information from pamphlet about anxiety Pharmasave www.pharmasave.com
8,9 - www.anxietybc.com
10 - www.health.com